Friday, May 2, 2014

make the most of your smoothie.

smoothieaddins
Smoothies are one of my favorite ways to start the morning, especially if I'm short on time! I've been really inspired by Arielle's blog, where she talks about nutrition in a way that seems approachable and manageable to me. I'm not sure about you, but I often feel as though I can get easily overwhelmed by clean-eating blogs. Whereas the writer has probably taken months or even years to get to a place of beautiful, clean eating, in blogland it can seem like it's only taken minutes! I'm incredibly grateful for the wealth of information that's available and I'm so thankful for the people who share their knowledge, but simple and step-by-step works best for me.

Today I thought I'd share five of our latest favorite smoothie add-ins. They're perfect for adding a boost of nutrition in a simple and quick way!

1. Oats. I love adding oats into my smoothie, especially if I'm looking to bulk it up a bit. Especially delicious when combined with nut butter, oats pack tons of health benefits (high levels of calcium, iron, and fiber) and taste deliciously nutty, too!

2. Amazing Grass. This is a new discovery for us and we love it. Not only is this product filled with probiotics, but it also packs a ton of greens and sea veggies! While the recommended dose is a tablespoon, it does have quite a strong flavor, so we are starting with a teaspoon. The smoothie masks the taste pretty well, but it does leave a flavor behind.

3. Bee Pollen. A sprinkle of bee pollen is very beneficial for those of us who experience seasonal allergies. I typically just garnish the top of my smoothie with a bit of this, but it can also be mixed right in with everything else. (Bee pollen is not safe to consume if you're allergic to bees.)

4. Chia Seeds. I'll never forget the first time I tried chia seeds. My sister and I ventured into our local health food store and split a bulk container. I've been a lover of these little gems ever since (I wrote about them here). To get the most of these little guys, soak them in water first and then just add a spoonful to your smoothie.

5. Honey. Packed with antioxidants and antibacterial properties, honey is a delicious addition to a smoothie, especially if your sweet tooth is looking for something to satisfy it. A little less than a spoonful will do the trick!

I'd love to hear about your favorite ways to boost a smoothie! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello! XO

Note: If you ask a question, check back! We respond to most questions in the comment section. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...