Wednesday, June 25, 2014

the midday cookie.

middaycookie4 middaycookie1 Today's cookie was born from a 2 o'clock craving for something sweet and a bit salty. You know the feeling; it strikes suddenly and quietly — but urgently — and rests in the back of your mind until you find some way to satiate it. When it's Friday afternoon and the pantry could use some attention, one must get creative in choosing ingredients.

The Internet is a beautiful place because after a quick Google search for a recipe involving buckwheat flour, I found my ticket to satisfaction. Because I must fiddle with things, I made a few adjustments to a recipe that I'm sure was already quite delectable. I picked up a Mast Brothers chocolate bar during a recent trip to New York City, and it seemed a shame not to allow its contents to be the true star of this recipe. Megan, the genius behind this cookie, also wrote the recipe so that it only yields one serving (two cookies). A blessing or a curse? I'll let you decide.
middaycookie3 middaycookie2 T H E  M I D D A Y  C O O K I E
(Adapted from and inspired by Detoxinista)

Serves 1

I N G R E D I E N T S
  • 2 level tablespoons buckwheat flour*
  • 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
  • 1 teaspoon peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon water
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch of sea salt, plus more for the tops of cookies
  • 3 squares Mast Brothers dark chocolate with Stumptown coffee
*Note: This recipe tastes strongly of buckwheat flour. If you're not a fan, I would suggest checking Megan's original recipe, where she offers an alternative suggestion that might strike your fancy.

D I R E C T I O N S
  1. Preheat* the oven to 350ยบ F and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. Mix all ingredients (except for the chocolate) until combined. They should form a thick, pasty substance, slightly more moist than your average chocolate chip cookie dough.
  3. Break the squares of chocolate into smaller chunks and fold them into the dough until just combined.
  4. Form two cookies of about equal size on the parchment paper. Gently flatten to desired thickness. Sprinkle a bit of sea salt on the top of each cookie.
  5. Bake cookies for 8-12 minutes,* and allow them to cool slightly before serving.
* Note: Because this is such a small recipe, I used my toaster oven to bake these cookies instead of a traditional oven. The baking time will change slightly (my toaster oven does not have a preheat option). My cookies baked for 12 minutes instead of the original suggestion of 8 minutes. As always, keep a good eye on your cookies so that you can rescue them at just the right moment!

3 comments:

  1. Yumm! Haven't tried this yet, but I plan to -- the handy two cookie recipe will help prevent me from overdoing it, as I am prone to do when there are too many cookies around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really enjoyed reading all your recent blog posts. These cookies look delicious! It's midday, and I really wish I had one right now. I am also glad you're reposting the story of the ring!! Love it and love you. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so yummy! i'm loving the dark chocolate and sea salt combo these days!

    ReplyDelete

Say hello! XO

Note: If you ask a question, check back! We respond to most questions in the comment section. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...